Bourland in North Texas and Indian Territory During the Civil War: Fort Cobb, Fort Arbuckle & the Wichita Mountains
by Patricia Adkins-Rochette
Roberts and James
William Y. ROBERTS and Dorothy Elizabeth JAMES
Marriage of William Y. Roberts and Dorothy Elizabeth James in __(place) on _ (date).
William Roberts, b. Oct 21, 1856 in Aberstyth, North Wales, son of Cornelius Roberts and Margaret Williams; in 1885 at the age of 29, he came to New York City on __ ship; he settled in Utica, NY; d. in the Chemung Presbytery, Utica, Oneida Co NY on Aug 4, 1931; buried in family plot in Forest Hills Cem, Oneida Co NY. (He added the "Y." in his name to differentiate himself from other Roberts in Oneida Co). William was educated in Wales, came to Utica when he was 29. Siblings were: Cornelius Immanuel and Jane Ellen who stayed in Wales and Thomas Roberts who spent most of his life in Utica. .....writer understands that Thomas is also buried in Forrest Hills Cem. Rev William Roberts was a Presbyterian minister who preached in English and Welsh for 43 years. His pastorate included churches in Liberty, Clay Co Missouri; __, __Co, Kansas; __Co, Nebraska; __, Co, Iowa; __ Co, Ohio; and __Co, NY. He was sent to small TROUBLED churches, where he would attempt to rebuild their sound financial status. Therefore, the family moved around the Midwest and never spent very long in one place.
Dorothy Elizabeth James, b. in Utica, Oneida Co NY on Aug 2, 1863 to Catherine Williams [b. Wales‑d. Utica, maybe 1920's] and Evan H__ James [b. Wales‑d. Utica, maybe 1930's, m. maybe in Oneida Co, may have lived on Oneida Street, Utica]. obit: mem of Moriah Welsh Presbyterian Ch and First Presbyterian Ch. Dorothy d. in Utica on Jan 30, 1934; b. Forest Hills Cem.
1. Harmon Cornelius Roberts; b-1892, Oneida Co NY; d-1921, Senaca Co NY; single
2. Cathreen Margaret Roberts; b-Aug 6, 1894, Oneida Co NY; d-Jun 16, 1987, Oneida Co NY; m-Harold Anderson
3. Priscilla Roberts; b-Apr 26, 1898, Racine Co WI; d-Apr 3, 1983, Oneida Co NY m-Laurence Marble
**4. Anne Eliz Roberts; b-Feb 28, 1900 Brush Creek, Laclede Co MO; d.-Apr 22, 1989 Dubuque Co IA; m-Duane Wilson
5. William Alvin "Bob" Roberts; b-Nov 12, 1902, Ethel, Macon Co MO; d-Nov 13, 1983, Oneida Co NY; m-Anne Nelson
6. Dorothy Eleanor Roberts; b-Oct 12, 1905, Ethel, Macon Co MO; d-Oct 3, 1973, Oneida Co NY; single
Roberts family members interred in family plot in the Forest Cem, Utica, Oneida Co, NY are: William Y, Dorothy Eliz, Harmon, Priscilla and husband Laurence, William A, and Dorothy Eleanor..
1. Harmon Cornelius Roberts. Attended ( ? Wooster College, Wayne Co OH). Was in the Army in WWI, where he served in France in Belleau Wood. He died during a family picnic at Senaca Lake, Seneca Co NY; b. Forest Hills Cem, Oneida Co NY. Issue, none.
2. Cathreen Margaret Roberts, m. First Presbyterian Ch in Utica, Oneida Co, NY on Aug 19, 1929 to Harold E. Anderson [born in St Louis, MO-d. Jul 14, 1974 ___? Greenwich Cem, ? Washington Co] Cathreen taught high school English in Ossining, Westchester Co NY, on the Hudson River; one of her students was Peter Falk of Colombo fame; husband worked for Mutual Insurance in NYC, had another home near Saratoga NY, both buried Greenwich Cem, ( ?Washington Co NY]. No issue.
3. Priscilla Roberts, m. in Rock Stream, Yates Co NY on Jul 10, 1923 to Laurence Orrin Marble [b. May 13, 1899 Chesterland, Geauga Co OH-Jul 17, 1968 Utica, Oneida Co NY], son of Mary Elizabeth Brawn [b__] and Orrin Laurence Marble [b __, owned a lumber mill near Chesterland OH]. Priscilla attended Wooster College, Wayne Co OH; taught school; then when bro Bob went to Waynesburg College, Green Co PA where she went and was graduated. She went from teaching to safety education: became a supervisor in the Utica Public School system. She and brother‑in‑law, Duane Wilson, wrote several books on safety. In the 1930s, Priscilla worked for the Utica Chamber of Commerce. She then became the head of the Field Army for the American Cancer Society in NY. She was instrumental in getting her sis, Anne, a similar job in Iowa. She feverishly pursued her hobby of riding and showing Tennessee Walking horses. Priscilla was friend to Thomas Dewey. Issue, 2 ch: Robert Duane "Bob" Roberts b. Feb 21, 1926 and m. Rhayalene Ann "Boots" Roller; and James Lawrence "Jim," single.
**4. Anne Elizabeth Roberts, m. in Cook Co IL on Dec 28, 1923 to Duane Irvin Wilson [b. 1897 Hopkinton, Delaware Co IA], son of Frances Ann Westcott [b. 1869 Delaware Co IA] and Irvin Thomas Wilson [b. 1874 Delaware Co IA]. Anne and Duane eloped in Chicago because her father did not want two marriages in the same yr. Anne was b. in Brush Creek/ maybe near Liberty, Clay Co MO; attended Lenox College, Delaware Co IA, where she met Duane; then was graduated from Wooster College, Wayne Co, OH in 1923. Anne taught school then worked for the American Cancer Society in Iowa for 20 yrs; b. in the Linwood Cem, Dubuque Co IA. Issue, 1 ch: **Irvin William, 1928 Dubuque Co IA‑1976 San Antonia, Bexar Co TX and m. Anna Mae Edwards, 3 ch/Patricia Joan Adkins, 2 ch.
5. William Alvin "Bob" Roberts, m. at St Mary's Catholic Ch, Utica, Oneida Co NY on Jan 26, 1941 to Anne Nelson [b. ___(yr) Utica], dau of Jane Connoley [b. ___(yr) Ireland‑‑d. Utica] and Jim Nelson [b. ____(yr) Ireland‑‑d. ____(yr) Utica, either Jim or Jayne were born in County Cork, Ireland]. Attended Waynesburg College, Green Co PA and Syracuse Univ. Bob dated Anne for 13 yrs. Bob's sisters were the only people who referred to him as "Alvin." Bob was a Mason and a mem of Elks Lodge. Was a liquor distributor and salesman. Issue: 1 ch: Jayne Ann, b. Nov 19, 1941 and m. ___ Harder, 2 ch: Michael, minister of Pennsylvania and Ann Eliesa Harder Gaunt a nurse of Roanoke VA.
6. Dorothy Eleanor Roberts. Attended Keuka College, Elimyra, Yates Co NY. taught high school home economics 42 yrs in Rome, Oneida Co NY. Issue, none.
Cornelius ROBERTS and Margaret WILLIAMS
Marriage of Cornelius Roberts and Margaret Williams in prob Aberstyth, North Wales in c1853.
Cornelius Roberts was born in prob ? Aberstyth, North Wales in about 1825 to __ Roberts and __ (maiden), who were married in __ (place). Cornelius was a shoemaker and lived on Moor Street, in the Parish of St Michaels Aberstyth in North Wales.
Margaret Williams was born in prob ? Aberstyth, Cardigan Co, North Wales in about 1825 to __ Williams and ___(maiden), who were married in __(place).
**1. William Roberts; b-Oct 21, 1856, Aberstyth, North Wales; d-Aug 4, 1931, Oneida Co NY; m-Dorothy E James
2. Cornelius Immanuel Roberts; b-May 4, 1862, Aberstyth, North Wales; m. __
3. Jane Ellen Roberts; b __ Aberstyth, North Wales; m. __
4. Thomas Elias Roberts; b-1875, Aberstyth, North Wales; d-Aug 29, 1953, Oneida Co NY; m-Florence Cooper
**1. William Y Roberts, m. in ? prob Oneida Co NY _ c1889 to Dorothy Elizabeth James [b. 1863 NY Wales Wales‑d. 1934 Oneida Co NY], dau of Catherine Williams [b__ Wales] and Evan H James [b __ Wales]. At age 29 in 1885, William came to New York City on ___ship; he settled in Utica, NY; was a minister in MO, NB, IL, IA, OH, and NY. found 1900 Macon Co MO cen, 1920 Allen Co OH cen. No index for 1910 NB, IA, or NY cen; and did not find in 1910 MO, KS, IL, or OH cen. Wm added the "Y." in his name to differentiate himself from other Roberts in Oneida Co. Issue, 6 ch: Harmon Cornelius, 1892‑1921 single; Cathreen Margaret, 1894‑1987 and m. Harold Anderson; Priscilla, 1898‑1893 and m. Laurence Marble; **Anne Elizabeth, 1900‑1989 and m. Irvin Duane Wilson; Wm Alvin "Bob," 1902‑1983 and m. Anne Nelson; and Dorothy Eleanor, 1905‑1973 single.
3. Cornelius Immanuel Roberts is listed as being Baptized in the Parish of St Michael Aberstyth in the County of Cardigan (North Wales) on May 4, 1862 by Thomas Evan (curate, clergyman in charge of the parish). said Cornelius was a shoemaker and the child's parents lived on Moor Street. ......interesting that bro Wm Y Roberts m. dau of Evan James.
4. Thomas Elias Roberts, m. in ___ ? England on Jul 12, 1906 to Florence Kate Louisa Cooper [b. 1880 in England, maybe born Baron-on-Furnace, England-d. __ Utica, Oneida Co NY], dau of Catherine Suzanne King [b. in England, spoke Scottish] and ( ? maybe William Henry Cooper, born in England, spoke English]. Florence had siblings: Grace Mary Mariah Cooper and William Reginald Cooper. 1920 Webster Co NB cen says Thomas immigrated 1907 and naturalized 1908; Florence immigrated 1908 and naturalized 1909; occupation clerk; both speak English; rents home. Jim Marble's Bible says: "Thomas came to USA in 1907 and settled in Webster Co, Nebraska, then in 1922 mv'd to Utica, Oneida Co NY. both b. Forest Hills Cemetery, Utica, Oneida Co NY. Issue, 2 ch:
1) Margaret Ellen "Peg" Roberts, Jun 8, 1908 Stoddard, Nebraska (maybe Stoddard Ranch, McPherson County, Nebraska)-Oct 3, 1986 Clinton, Oneida Co NY and m. in Plymouth Congregational Church, Utica, Oneida Co NY on Aug 24, 1942 to Harold Iorwerth Jones [1901 Llangollen, Wales-1972 Utica, Oneida Co NY], 2 ch: Roberta Jean Jones and m. Wm Geo Woodruff (of Clinton NY); Norman Jones m. Kathleen Mary Meehan (of Whitesboro NY)
2) William Henry "Bill" Roberts, 1912 Wymore, Gage Co, NB-d-Dec 15, 1968 Latham, Albany Co NY and m. Margaret "Meg" Wellman. 3 ch: Linda, m. Arthur Matson (of Rome, NY); Janellen, m. Jeff Clark; Peter, m. Patricia Roberts (of Ballston Lake NY).
William Y. Roberts T I M E L I N E
1856 Abersythe, North Wales ‑‑ Wm Y. Roberts born to Margaret Williams and Cornelius Roberts.
1879 U.S.A., Roberts Bible pages said Wm Y Roberts came to USA in 1879
1885 Utica, Oneida Co NY ‑‑ Wm came to America and settled in Utica per Roberts Bible. .... came at age 29.
1887‑1920 Allen Co OH cen says that Wm Y Roberts immigrated in 1887 and naturalized 1904. (The naturalization papers should be available in the county where Wm was living in 1904.)
1891 Oneida Co NY, Utica. ‑‑ prob married c1891 in Utica
1892‑4 ‑‑ Utica, Oneida Co NY
1900 Laclede Co Missouri, Brushcreek, on the border of Union twp and Lebanon twp, ca 5 mi from Lebanon. Anne Elizabeth Roberts born here Feb 28.......maybe Liberty, Clay Co, Missouri...."The New Cambria Presbytery....met Oct 1869 at Brush Creek.." p248, Williams's CALVANISTIC METHODISM
1900 Macon Co Missouri cen, Russell township, Jun 15, 1900, Wm Y Roberts fam found here.
1902 Laclede Co MO, Presbytery of Palmyra, Laclede Ch, Laclede MO, Centre Ch and Bethel Ch of Meadville MO, p503 MINUTES OF GEN ASSEMBLY
1903 Presbytery of Hannibal, New Providence, Ben Bow MO; Newark Ch, Newark MO; Pleasant Prairie, Bethel MO.
1904 Norton Co Kansas, Presbytery of Osborne, Norton Ch, Norton KS then Calvert, Norton Co KS.
1905 Norton Co KS, Oakley Church, Norton KS
1905 Macon Co Missouri, Ethel, Dorothy born here in Oct 12. lived there min 5 yrs.
1907 Webster Co MO. Thomas Elias Roberts went to Webster County, Nebraska when he first came to U.S.A. Thomas found in 1920 Webster Co NB cen. "Margaret was born Red Cloud, Webster Co NB in 1908." per Jim Marble's record.
1907 Thayer Co Nebraska, Presbytery of Nebraska City, Deshler Ch, Deshler, Thayer Co NB and Stoddard Ch, Stoddard NB, maybe also Thayer Co NB or maybe Stoddard Ranch, McPherson Co NB
1908 Stoddard, Nebraska, Jun 8. Margaret Ellen Roberts born in Stoddard NB (maybe Stoddard Ranch, McPherson Co NB). per Roberta Jones Woodruff.....Social Security files would have Margaret's birth record.....important
1909 ‑‑ Liberty, ? Clay Co MO. Jim has 1909 group school picture from here. ...maybe Liberty Nebraska
1910 ‑‑ writer is trying to find this family in the 1910 census; several states‑‑NB, Iowa, NY‑‑ do not have indicies; have checked in MO, OH, IL without finding them. Our Roberts fam was prob in NB, writer has written letters to Gage, Thayer, and Webster counties who may have indexed their 1910 cen.
Editor's note: ‑‑ Liberty, Gage Co NB. have a family photo taken in front of parsonage.
1912 Gage Co Nebraska, Wymore. William Henry Roberts born.
1912 Presbytery of Kearney, Clontibret Ch, Primrose NB
1913 Presbytery of Omaha, Lindsay Ch, Lindsay NB.
1914 Presbytery of Corning. ?New York, probably not?
1917 Presbytery of Dubuque. Wadena
1919 Presbytery of Lima, Gomer Church, Gomer __ Co Ohio ‑‑ girls went to Wooster when they lived there
1920 Allen Co OH cen, Sugar Creek twp, Wm Y Roberts family; cen taken on Jan 19, although most cen taken in summertime.
1920 Allen Co OH, Presbytery of Wooster, Hopewell Ch, Millersburg OH
1921 Yates Co NY, Presbytery of Chemung, Rock Stream Ch, Rock Stream NY; Tyrone Church then Pine Grove Church, Rock Stream NY. Harmon Roberts died while they lived in Rock Stream.
1922 ‑‑ ? Utica, Oneida Co NY ‑‑ prob here since bro Thomas came to Utica this yr.
Editor's note: c1923 ‑‑ Rowely, near Independence, Buchanan Co Iowa ‑‑ lived here at one time; Anne attended Lenox College, Hopkinton, Delaware Co IA where she met Duane Wilson. prob c1919.
Since Rev. Roberts could get his children scholarships at Wooster College, Wayne Co, OH, his four daughters and prob Harmon also attended this Presbyterian school.
Anne and Cathreen attended Lenox College, Taylor Co, Iowa and waited on tables at the school cafe where they were going out with what they thought the two most eligible boys. Anne had to leave school to live with Priscilla where they taught in a small high school in Rowley (near Independence), Buchanan Co, IA. Here they had brother Alvin "Bob" as a student. Then the family was sent to Ohio where Priscilla and Anne went to Wooster College. Bob elected to stay in Iowa. He essentially left the family for two years: no one knew where he was or what he was doing. When he came home, Rev. W.Y. Roberts decided to send him to Wayneburg College (Green Co, PA) and Priscilla was sent also to "watch" him. Anne and Cathreen graduated in 1923 from Wooster College in Wayne Co, OH.
All four dau's became teachers and Bob said that he had his sisters for high school teachers.
1926-1931 Oneida Co NY, Utica, Chemung Presbytery. Wm Y Roberts honorably retired at 128 Boyce Ave, Utica NY
1931 ‑‑ Utica, Oneida Co NY ‑‑ Wm Y Roberts died
1934 ‑‑ Utica, Oneida Co NY ‑‑ Dorothy James Roberts died.
This free script provided by
Patricia Adkins-Rochette 03/20/2013 prochette@Juno.com
.Reviews Home Photo of hardcover Book for Sale.
Bourland in North Texas and Indian Territory During the Civil War: Fort Cobb, Fort Arbuckle & the Wichita Mountains